Know your ABCS and SPDs!
Last Thursday, Dawn had
us complete an activity where we were given a topic that is not related to our
content area (I had Economics), and she asked us to identify the SPD’s and
ABCS. The activity was incredibly impactful for me as I reflected a lot about
how I learn and how I design. Below, I’ve shared those reflections with all of
you:
- I need a
visual outline to help me think. I always thought I could make sense of my
stream-of-consciousness notes that I take, but in completing this
activity, I realized that I need structure - specifically in the way
information is presented visually. My partner and I created a table; the left side included the topic
and the right side included elements that belonged to that topic. It’s
nothing fancy, but I needed the organization for my brain to process the
activity and information.
- You can
create a design even if you’re not the SME (Subject Matter Expert). This was my biggest “ah-ha” moment during the
activity because it’s something I struggle with so often in my job. I
create and design professional development for engineers, but I’m not the
SME!! I struggled with this so much, and I often felt that I was
underperforming because I didn’t know the content. Dawn’s activity proved that I could identify the SPD and ABCS even if it’s not something I know in-depth. A little research goes a long way in design.
- Parts of
speech really do matter when it comes to designing. In AP Language and Composition, I would always give
them a trick for how to answer specific prompts. For example, if they
received a prompt that asked them to discuss “purpose,” then their claim
(or thesis statement) would need to identify the purpose using an action
verb. Therefore, each claim would include a part of speech (noun,
verb, adjective) according to the prompt the student is answering. It was the same teaching strategy Dawn used when she told us to identify the SPD’s.
Structure = noun
Process = action verb or word that ends in -ing
Discourse = communication words
Each element didn’t necessarily have a focused “part of speech”
attached to it, but that strategy was extremely helpful. Dawn didn’t tell us what
to write, so her strategy allowed for creativity. Associating each element with
a different part of speech helped me organize and understand the purpose of
each element in my mind.
While I didn’t really
learn much about economics, and I will probably never be able to teach it, the
activity itself was extremely enlightening.
Your reflections echo my thoughts about our first experience as non-SME designers. I also attempted to develop the SPs & ABCS for the NM Economics standards. Although I felt completely inept in my econ knowledge, I felt comfortable harnassing the power of the Interwebs to brainstorm the nouns, verbs, and authentic activities of the discipline of economics. That was excellent coaching on Dawn's behalf.
ReplyDeleteLearning is uncomfortable sometimes. I'm glad that you had an open mind and saw the big picture. We as educators owe it to our learners, so that they can navigate the next phase in the education. The SPD activity was an eye opener to me as well..
ReplyDelete